Thursday, October 8, 2009

Survey

Besides reading Gender Differences, I have been doing a lot of work on getting the survey out there. We finalized the survey at our meeting last week and I've been contacting professors of core classes, asking if we can use the last 5 to 10 minutes of a class period to come in and do our survey. We believe that this method will give us a higher number of responses than just standing in a hallway trying to get people to answer our survey. No one wants to answer a survey when they're rushing off to class. I have contacted a number of professors, and of the one who have responded, all have said yes!

I administered the survey at my Competition Programming class last night and everyone was willing to answer the survey. Even in administering the survey, before reviewing the findings, I am learning so much. It turns out that about 1/3 of the students in the Wednesday Competition Programming class are not primary CS majors. Most students who were not primary CS majors were either ECE students (most of them) or math majors or graduate students in the CSD. Most said that they were double majoring or minoring in CS. I actually got one ECE student who asked to see the survey and when he looked at the questions, said that only a few of the questions were specifically related to students in SCS and that he would be happy to answer the survey! Unfortunately, I had to turn him down as this is specifically for students in SCS.

No comments:

Post a Comment